Monday, April 17, 2006

HAD A BREATH OF THAT COUNTRY AIR

Had a breath of that country air this weekend. My dad and I went walking on the Suffolk coast, between Orford, site of a very fine medieval castle, and Shingle Street, where the Nazis once apparently planned to set light to the sea with oil. The Suffolk coast often seems to freak people out: it can be very bleak and wild and severe. I find it incredible beautiful - just the place to go if you have a problem that needs thinking through.

I even took some photos: the first is the stretch of the Butley River where my dad wants his ashes scattered (though hopefully not for a while), the second is the ruin of the old Butley Dock, and the third is a somewhat fuzzy view of Orford's castle and church.







And if these bucolic scenes float your boat, I'm off to the Lakes next weekend for a week of stomping over the fells. I can't wait. Enjoy the four-day week, folks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home